5007 Estate Shoys
Christiansted, St. Croix 00824
The resort dates to 1653, when Charles Martel, a Knight of Malta, built a manor house and tobacco and indigo plantation on the present day site. The manor house’s thick walls and graceful bonnet arches are still visible in the resort’s main building. A sugar mill dating to the early 1700s sits near the resort’s entrance, and is a favorite location for weddings and receptions.The Cotton House, built in the early 1900s when cotton replaced sugar as the primary crop, now serves as a meeting room. The Hamilton Wing is named for the period when Alexander Hamilton lived in what is now the resort’s main building. The Armstrong family, owners and managers of the resort for three generations, opened The Buccaneer as an 11-room inn in January 1948. Over the past 67 years the family has overseen The Buccaneer’s evolution into a destination resort that is considered one of the Caribbean’s finest.
Features And Accommodations
- Three beaches, including Mermaid Beach with its “Beach Shack” water sports center and Mermaid restaurant/bar; Grotto Beach with a shoreline pool and Grotto Grill, and Whistle Beach, an over-the-hill beach favored for its privacy.
- Freshwater free-form pool on the shoreline located at Grotto Beach
- Beach Shack: These water sports centers offer equipment including snorkel gear, water floats, kayaks, and beach toys and games. Arrangements for complimentary kayak, snorkel, and other on-property excursions can also be made at the Beach Shack. Stand-up paddleboarding is available at additional charge
- Scuba Lessons: Complimentary Introduction to Scuba classes are held regularly, offering guests an opportunity to sample the underwater world in a safe and comfortable environment. Upon completion of the resort course, guests have the option of participating in shallow open water dives, at additional charge.
- Golf: A challenging, 18-hole, par-70 course encompasses 5,810 yards with spectacular Caribbean Sea views. The course also features a practice area. The golf shop features boutique and resort wear, and staff who arrange tee times, club and cart rentals. Our golf professional offers lessons and arranges tournaments. Buccaneer guests receive preferential starting times.
- Tennis: The eight-court tennis facility was named by Tennis Magazine “one of the top tennis facilities in the Caribbean”. Two courts are lighted for night play. The pro shop staff arranges court times, lessons, games with club members, strings racquets and has accessories for sale.
- The Hideaway Spa: offers massage, seaweed wraps, facials and foot reflexology, as well as salon services.
- The Fitness Center: offers complimentary use of treadmills, elliptical machines, recumbent cycles, leg curls, lat rower, bench press, bicept/tricept curl, leg extensions and free weights.
- Yoga available at extra charge.
- Jogging and Nature Trail is a rolling and meandering two-mile trail that includes Par Course work-out stations.
- The Terrace, offering covered, open-air dining, is located in the Great House, with views of the manicured fairways, Caribbean Sea and Christiansted Harbor. A complimentary full breakfast is served to resort guests. The evening fine-dining menu features classical cuisine with Caribbean accents. Winner of the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence.
- The Martel Room and Bar, located in the Great House, provides a relaxing venue for cocktails and light fare. A favorite at sunset, this room is the location for nightly entertainment.
- The Mermaid is located beachside, and features a full lunch menu of savory appetizers, soups, salads and sandwiches, ranging from all-American favorites to vegetarian fare. Dinners and banquets available seasonally.
- The Grotto Grill offers a lunch menu of hot dogs, hamburgers and sandwiches, served beachside at the Grotto Beach and pool. Seasonal.
- The Brass Parrot, located adjacent to The Terrace, is the resort’s air-conditioned dining room, banquet and meeting room. A favorite location for wedding receptions, the room offers panoramic views of the sparkling lights of Christiansted.
Lot Size: 340 acres acres
Built in: 1653
Property Type: Resort
Architectural Style: Vintage
Location Type: Waterfront
Other Features & Amenities:
- Fitness Center
- Business center